[mythtv-users] IPTV - MPEG-TS stream failed to receive bytes

Captain Krypto captainkrypto at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:24:03 UTC 2016

Basically, I am trying to use mythbackend as a PVR for a paid IPTV service,
but the back end fails to stream any data from the URL.

I used mythtv-setup to create an IPTV capture card using an m3u file with
the following format:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,300 - ANIMAL PLANET HD
#EXTMYTHTV:xmltvid=57394
http://2.welcm.tv:8000/live/xxx@xyz.com/xxxpasswordxxx/5010.ts

I successfully added the channels and program data and can see the channels
and program data on my Kodi front end as well as in Mythweb.

However, when I go to watch a channel live or record a program, I am not
getting any data streaming into the buffers. I set the timeout for the card
to 60000 ms, but it appears to only attempt the connection for a few
seconds at most. I can open the URLs just fine in VLC and the video starts
to play in just a few seconds.

Here is a snippet from the back end log using --setverbose channel,record
and --setloglevel debug:

2016-06-13 18:25:08.621845 I [5221/5743] StreamHandler
recorders/httptsstreamhandler.cpp:137 (DownloadStream) - HTTPReader(
http://2.welcm.tv:8000/live/xxx@xyz.com/xxxpasswordxxx/4649.ts):
DownloadStream -- begin
2016-06-13 18:25:08.938128 I [5221/5743] StreamHandler
recorders/httptsstreamhandler.cpp:179 (DownloadStream) - HTTPReader(
http://2.welcm.tv:8000/live/xxx@xyz.com/xxxpasswordxxx/4649.ts):
DownloadStream -- end
2016-06-13 18:25:08.938189 I [5221/5743] StreamHandler
recorders/httptsstreamhandler.cpp:114 (run) - HTTPTSSH(
http://2.welcm.tv:8000/live/xxx@xyz.com/xxxpasswordxxx/4649.ts):
DownloadStream failed to receive bytes from
http://2.welcm.tv:8000/live/xxx@xyz.com/xxxpasswordxxx/4649.ts

More from the same log: http://pastebin.com/4kFuWnxR

You can see that the entire attempt to stream the data only lasts a few
seconds. I thought that maybe the '@' symbol was causing an issue so I
tried to escape it using '\@', but it resulted in the same behavior.

Here is mediainfo output from a sample stream I pulled through VLC:
http://pastebin.com/DCEUCbq7

I initially tried this setup on 0.27/fixes and encountered the same issue
so I did a fresh compile of 0.28/fixes and deleted/re-created the IPTV
tuner and sources to the same end.

Here is my mythbackend version:

MythTV Version : v0.28-35-g812ec08
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.28
Network Protocol : 88
Library API : 0.28.20160309-1
QT Version : 5.6.0
Options compiled in:
 linux release use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_vbox using_ceton using_hdpvr using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_lirc
using_mheg using_opengl using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript
using_qtdbus using_taglib using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_systemd_notify using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_freetype2 using_mythtranscode using_opengl
using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_mheg using_libass
using_libxml2

It seems like the back end is *trying* to open the stream, but it doesn't
like what it is seeing so my initial thoughts were that it either doesn't
like the URL format, or that it is receiving data that it isn't expecting...

Should this setup theoretically work? Is there a way to get more debugging
into to determine why the stream isn't opening?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave