[mythtv-users] VGA -> RGB-SCART (PAL, 720x576i50) on Intel HD video possible?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 19:39:36 UTC 2016

On 1 June 2016 at 13:09, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi Nick,
>
> Wednesday, June 1, 2016, 10:04:27 AM, you wrote:
>
>> I'm curious to know if it's possible to use (and thus if anyone is
> using) a VGA->>RGB SCART output path on recent Intel Core-based systems
>> with Intel HD (i915) video?
>
>> Does the Intel HD video platform support outputting PAL-compatible
>> 720x576i50 signals at 15kHz?

> If the card supports interlacing, it's a simple scheme to convert vga
> to scart. All it has to do is combine hsync and vsync. I use it with
> an nvidea card. If you are interested I can lookup the scheme. I also
> have created my own modeline to optimize for my TV and to remove
> overscan.

It's not as simple as that. The VGA output needs to be able to display
a PAL-compatible modeline directly to be able to use one of these
"simple" VGA->RGB SCART cables.

As I mentioned, I already use a VGA->RGB SCART cable with an ATI
Radeon card (the sync circuit for Radeons is even simpler than for
NVidia cards, as the ATI Radeon outputs composite sync).

What I want to know is whether current Intel HD video natively
supports a low enough dot clock (14MHz) to output the necessary
15.625kHz horizontal frequency PAL signal directly through the VGA
output, or whether a "VGA -> PAL" converter would be required.

Cheers,
Nick