[mythtv-users] VGA -> RGB-SCART (PAL, 720x576i50) on Intel HD video possible?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 12:09:09 UTC 2016

Hoi Nick,

Wednesday, June 1, 2016, 10:04:27 AM, you wrote:

> I'm curious to know if it's possible to use (and thus if anyone is
using) a VGA->>RGB SCART output path on recent Intel Core-based systems
> with Intel HD (i915) video?

> Does the Intel HD video platform support outputting PAL-compatible
> 720x576i50 signals at 15kHz?

> Background:

> I've been using an old CRT with a frontend since 2006 and both are
> still working fine. The box uses an ATI Radeon 9000 card and a simple
VGA->>RGB cable (using composite sync), which produces a great quality
> image compared to S-Video or composite. The TV has no support for
> component video.

> However, the module support to drive the Radeon at a low enough
> dotclock to produce the PAL-compatible signal was removed in the X.org
> upgrade that is present in Debian 8.0 (Jessie), so this particular box
> is stuck on Wheezy (oldstable) and currently runs 0.27.6.

> Planning ahead, what I'd like to do is decouple the TV from this
> specific video card/cable - without sacrificing video quality - to
> permit retiring the box and replacing with something newer when
> necessary. If the TV fails first, there won't be a problem either way
> as the Radeon card supports DVI (if I decide to keep the frontend
> as-is, instead of replacing it).

> I'd like to retain the RGB SCART signal, so I'm looking for another
VGA->>RGB SCART solution (i.e. analog RGB, not a YPbPr component
> signal) that ideally does not need output a PAL-compatible 15kHz
> signal.

> However, if modern Intel HD video can be persuaded to output a
> PAL-compatible 720x576i50 15kHz signal (in the same way the Radeon
> card does) that would be great to know, as it would simplify the
> solution significantly.

> I can buy a cheap HDMI (or VGA) to component YPbPr converter but I
> would also need a YPbPr->RGBS converter. Most component/RGB converters
> I have found so far want to convert analog RGB _to_ component Yipper,
> rather than the other way around.

> Thanks for any information anyone can provide,

> Cheers,
> Nick

If the card supports interlacing, it's a simple scheme to convert vga
to scart. All it has to do is combine hsync and vsync. I use it with
an nvidea card. If you are interested I can lookup the scheme. I also
have created my own modeline to optimize for my TV and to remove
overscan.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven