[mythtv-users] interfacing MythTV with a DTA, lirc queries

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 23:22:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:38 PM, James Miller
<gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org> wrote:
> ...  Incidentally, the old analog signal continued to be transmitted
> for about 3 weeks after the stated deadline for obtaining an adapter, with a
> few channels being digitized/encrypted at a time starting about a week after
> the deadline.

Sounds about right.  No matter how many letters, notes in
the bill, notices in the local newspaper people often are still
"surprised" when they start losing their channels.  In some
markets TWC starts with a few (of the lesser watched), then
a few more, and then towards the end start with bigger sets
(figuring they have done their best).

You will likely (almost) always have one analog and one
clear QAM "barker" channels that announce, in effect,
"Go get a box".

> Here's one issue on which any further utilization of cable might hinge, and
> one about which I have a sketchy understanding that I think may be more or
> less correct. I'd like to ask for confirmation about that on this list. So,
> one way I might try continuing to view/record cable programming on my MythTV
> system would involve, as a preliminary step, acquiring one of the DTA's the
> cable co. is offering free of charge (I am unwilling to pay even a minimal
> fee to rent any equipment from them so

Note that it is only free (as I recall) for the first year.  So if
you are not willing to pay anything, you might want to cut
your losses today, and go OTA now.

> ... Am I correct in assuming that,
> as an initial step, I could, using the lirc configuration provided at that
> link, cause my MythTV system to prompt the DTA to do channel changing, e.g.,
> in preparation for recording a showing?

At least in theory.

> I realize, btw, that this would likely be the least challenging aspect of
> what I'd need to do to be able to once again record from cable. The more
> daunting task would be to configure some sort of device to turn an HDMI
> stream (emanating from the DTA) into a network signal

The HDMI signal is HDCP protected.  Unless you plan on
violating the laws of your jurisdiction with that DTA you will
need to capture the NTSC analog output signal (some capture
cards will do that for you for NTSC analog signals), or you
may be able to request a DTA with component output (although
last I knew, only TWC STBs come with component output,
but I am aware that some new model DTAs (which may or may
not be in TWCs inventory) have started to come with
component out), and then you need a HD-PVR.

And if you are planning to violate the laws of your jurisdiction,
I would request that you take any further discussion
elsewhere to protect the viability of the project in this
jurisdiction.