[mythtv-users] interfacing MythTV with a DTA, lirc queries

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Thu Jul 21 22:38:29 UTC 2016

Still trying to understand better what are my options now that my cable
provider (TWC, US) has pretty much finished digitizing/encrypting all
channels. Incidentally, the old analog signal continued to be transmitted
for about 3 weeks after the stated deadline for obtaining an adapter, with
a few channels being digitized/encrypted at a time starting about a week
after the deadline.

Here's one issue on which any further utilization of cable might hinge,
and one about which I have a sketchy understanding that I think may be
more or less correct. I'd like to ask for confirmation about that on this
list. So, one way I might try continuing to view/record cable programming
on my MythTV system would involve, as a preliminary step, acquiring one of
the DTA's the cable co. is offering free of charge (I am unwilling to pay
even a minimal fee to rent any equipment from them so, though renting an
STB from the might offer me more flexibility in interfacing with a MythTV
system, that's not an option I intend to explore for now). The DTA
available to me is this one: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Cisco_DTA_271HD.
Am I correct in assuming that, as an initial step, I could, using the lirc
configuration provided at that link, cause my MythTV system to prompt the
DTA to do channel changing, e.g., in preparation for recording a showing?

I realize, btw, that this would likely be the least challenging aspect of
what I'd need to do to be able to once again record from cable. The more
daunting task would be to configure some sort of device to turn an HDMI
stream (emanating from the DTA) into a network signal, then get MythTV to
capture it from the network. From other recent threads I get the
impression that bits and pieces of information for doing this sort of
thing are available, though adapting those directives to particular
situations like mine might be too much of a challenge for someone with my
modest technical abilities. But I do feel as though I need to consider all
the possibilities and, even though I may not wind up trying to implement a
scheme like this, I might nonetheless benefit by increasing somewhat my
understanding of the issues.

Afterthought: implementing a system such as I've alluded to looks, based
on past experience, like getting involved in a game of whack-a-mole--does
it not? In other words, someone puzzles out some sort of weakness in the
system that can be exploited, which the big players then move to plug, at
which point the set-up ceases working. Until the next weakness is
discovered . . . rinse and repeat, ad infinitum. If correct, this is
something to be well aware of before putting a lot of time and effort into
such a project.