[mythtv-users] mythplayer.cpp:2176 (PrebufferEnoughFrames) Player(6): Waited 102ms for video buffers AAAAAAAAAAAfff

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Jul 21 01:43:26 UTC 2016

On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 22:21 +0000, Mark Perkins wrote:

> Couple of suggestions but nothing that particularly stands out.
> Firstly try running top on BE and FE during playback of problem file
> in case something stands out.

I've done that.  CPU is not a problem.  That is corroborated by mplayer
playing the file(s) with no problem.

In fact mplayer playing the file(s) with no problem at all validates
all of the hardware.  CPU, disk bandwidth, network, etc., I would
think.  When two pieces of software on the same hardware operate with
different efficiencies, the problem has to be in software.

>  Maybe iotop on BE too.

Again, mplayer plays the file file.  dd on the FE can copy the file
from the BE at 67MB/s.  That's a 1 hour video file in 13s.

>  Secondly try making a problem recording available directly to the FE
> rather than through the BE.

I've done both.  One is not better than the other.

>  I think mounting the recording storage folder on the FE at the same
> path as it is on the BE is sufficient although I have never tried.

Yes, that is sufficient to do it.

> Actually first maybe test the network bandwidth between FE and BE
> using iperf and see if it is close to the files bitrate.

That dd above is actually a much more realistic measurement as it's
measuring the exact path that the FE would be using including NFS
overhead.

> Are the recordings on local disks to the BE or network mounts?

Local.  But regardless, the dd test above proves there is lots of disk
and network bandwidth.

All of the hardware here is quite capable.  dd and mplayer are proving
that.  The only thing left is software.

b.