[mythtv-users] Problem with LIRC after upgrade to Fedora 24

Paul Gallaway paul at gallaway.ca
Tue Jul 19 21:42:31 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jul 16, 2016 at 6:58 PM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
>> Changing the driver from devinput to default in lirc_options.conf fixed
>> the issue.
>
> I am also having trouble getting my remote to work well after upgrading from
> F23 to F24. It's the same damned problem I had five years ago that started a
> long thread on this list with F14, but it's not the same fix. That one
> turned out to be an actual kernel driver bug that got fixed. This time, most
> likely not.

Away from my system currently so probably just adding more noise than
anything. I am seeing a similar problem and I've been trying to
troubleshoot (although haven't really put in the time).

Not using Fedora. I'm running Debian Jessie/stable (8), using a 4.6
kernel through jessie-backports repository with MythTV 0.27 from
deb-multimedia repository, and my remote stopped working. I am
currently using devinput as the LIRC driver (and have been for some
time since running a kernel with it available as an option). I have an
MCE-USB remote device, one of the original MS branded ones from circa
2008. I have a second one I've tested on my main and secondary system
with the same issue.

Anyway, since kernel 4.5+ the remote hasn't worked with my
configuration. Finally had some time to troubleshoot over the weekend
and dropping back to a 4.4 kernel and the remote works as expected.
Boot the 4.6 kernel and it stops. My next step will be to submit a bug
report to the Debian kernel team, but I'd need to boot back into the
non-functioning kernel to complete the report.

My other working theory (read untested and I have no evidence) is that
kernels 4.5+ need a newer version of LIRC (0.94 was recently released
and I think roughly maps to the release period) than is available in
Debian Jessie repositories for devinput to function. Just a giant stab
in the dark. Searching the Fedora project, it appears as though it is
shipping with 0.94a which is the most recent LIRC release. It might be
time to move to Stretch/testing version of Debian which may solve this
issue and break a bunch of other things in the process ;)