[mythtv-users] Problems with Hauppauge remote and ir-kbd-i2c

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jul 5 16:13:04 UTC 2016

On 05/07/16 15:38, Tyler T wrote:
> This sounds like what I went through. I spent some time updating the
> Wiki page here:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HID_Remotes#ir-keytable
>
> Basically, you need to make sure your remote buttons maps to keyboard
> keys with scancodes less than 255 (0xFF) (even if the keyboard keys
> are nonsensical) and then use Myth Bindings to remap the weird codes.

Having just clicked the link, I can tell you that there is one drawback: there is no such thing as a
"genuine" MCE remote codeset.

Microsoft's specifications for the MCE remote are very pernickety about what you call the keys and
where they have to be placed but specifically do *not* specify what IR standard is to be used or
what codes map to what keys.

That means that something labeled a "genuine MCE remote" can generate almost any set of codes. In
particular, it may resemble some other set but with a few hard-to-spot differences.

Apart from that, the rest of what you have written seems usable.

--

Mike Perkins