[mythtv-users] Moving Beyond CableCard

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 23:02:07 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> Has anyone from Myth or Kodi ever talked to anyone from ...

I have no idea, but my guess is that all the companies
would respond equivalently with "above my pay-grade".

They have to implement to the regulations and certification
requirements as they are, not as how you wish them to be.
Their responsibility is to their shareholders, and that usually
means producing product that can actually be sold.

I see this as a discussion as to what copyright law is, and
should be, and your (fair use) rights for using content as
you wish.  That is a useful discussion, but not one that
most organizations are interested in participating in
unless they can get your payment in advance to fund a
lobby campaign that will likely loose to Mickey Mouse Inc.
(after all, lobbying firms do not promise specific results,
they only promise to take your money and attempt to
sell your case to someone who might consider changing
the laws and regulations).