[mythtv-users] Moving Beyond CableCard

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Jan 21 18:42:34 UTC 2016

On 1/21/2016 10:12 AM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>> ...  I did like the part of the proposal that said:
> That part of the proposal was intended to get you to
> vote for their position.  The reality of what is being
> proposed is slightly more subtle.  It always is.
>
> This issue is between the consumer electronics
> companies, who are claiming to be on your
> side, but are just trying to control your options
> so they get the money, and the content (cable)
> providers who claim to also be on your side,
> but also want to control your options.  Btw,
> pure DTCP-IP (what the consumer electronics
> firms are proposing) means MythTV might no longer
> be viable (as it could never achieve certification).
> Ones only hope would be that DTCP-IP protections
> would be optional (but do not count on it).  And
> HTML5 with required EME protections is no better.
>
> So, be careful about what you wish for, for
> you may get it.
>
> This is all about spin (and arstechnica fell for
> it).  Which side gets the "win" might depend on
> where the commissioners are intending to land
> after their term is up (so if you want to actually
> know what is going to happen, watch who the
> commissioners are talking to over dinner
> regarding their next job...; I mean, I am sure
> they cannot be bought, but perhaps, they can
> be leased for future considerations).
>
> I know, I am a bit cynical.
>
> Oh, and btw, I will repeat my suggestion to
> actually read the DSTAC report (but put on
> your beltway translator glasses, as what is
> said is not exactly what is said).

Has anyone from Myth or Kodi ever talked to anyone from Silicon Dust? Do
they know that the open source world is part of their customer base. I
know they provide linux drivers so they must have *some* awareness.
Being a commercial entity do they ever fight for our side of things
instead of the Tivo side of things?