[mythtv-users] Moving Beyond CableCard

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:12:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> ...  I did like the part of the proposal that said:

That part of the proposal was intended to get you to
vote for their position.  The reality of what is being
proposed is slightly more subtle.  It always is.

This issue is between the consumer electronics
companies, who are claiming to be on your
side, but are just trying to control your options
so they get the money, and the content (cable)
providers who claim to also be on your side,
but also want to control your options.  Btw,
pure DTCP-IP (what the consumer electronics
firms are proposing) means MythTV might no longer
be viable (as it could never achieve certification).
Ones only hope would be that DTCP-IP protections
would be optional (but do not count on it).  And
HTML5 with required EME protections is no better.

So, be careful about what you wish for, for
you may get it.

This is all about spin (and arstechnica fell for
it).  Which side gets the "win" might depend on
where the commissioners are intending to land
after their term is up (so if you want to actually
know what is going to happen, watch who the
commissioners are talking to over dinner
regarding their next job...; I mean, I am sure
they cannot be bought, but perhaps, they can
be leased for future considerations).

I know, I am a bit cynical.

Oh, and btw, I will repeat my suggestion to
actually read the DSTAC report (but put on
your beltway translator glasses, as what is
said is not exactly what is said).