[mythtv-users] ALSA/HDMI Losing my mind, ripping out hair

Andrew Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sat Feb 13 14:27:15 UTC 2016

On 12/02/16 01:38 PM, Lee Maisel wrote:

> On 2/12/2016 12:34 AM, faginbagin wrote:
>> Hi Lee, Have you tried a different HDMI cable? Have you unplugged the
>> TV and then plugged it back in? The above have cleared occasional
>> problems I've seen with video signals. Maybe they'll fix your audio
>> problem. As for getting X to work with a new video card, you'll need
>> to boot in recovery mode where you'll get the option to start X in
>> failsafe mode which should give you more options to get X working
>> with the new card. HTH, Helen

> Thanks Helen,
>
> Yes, I have had issues like that before with video, and thought maybe
> it was the same deal, so I reset everything, unplugged, replugged,
> etc.  No change.
>
> Still thinking it's either a hardware failure OR a resources problem.
> The funny thing is, there are no error messages with the driver, and I
> can see the card with aplay -l but in MythTV FE setup, when I select
> the correct card and settings, it claims it's invalid.   If it was
> hardware, I would think that it would not see the card, or since it
> DOES see the card, just accept it, and then audio would just not come
> out.  But it sees the card, and then complains that it's not valid.
> UGH.
>
> Lee

If you're still on myth 0.25, I'm guessing you are running an older
xorg, which probably isn't doing/capable of full auto, so you'll need to
update /etc/X11/xorg.conf which the correct device information for the
add-in card. You didn't mention which card/make/model it is so can't
give you specifics there.

You mention the audio device is listed by aplay -L, have you used an
alsa-player/mplayer (or equivalent) to see if you can play any audio
through the device outside of myth?

Andrew.