[mythtv-users] Installation instructions for mythbuntu 16.04.1

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Fri Dec 16 16:52:40 UTC 2016

On 12/16/2016 8:20 AM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Good job! Jim and Philip! :-)

I'm still running mythbuntu 14.04 LTS, and have no need to upgrade to
16.04 at this time.  There will come a time when I will need to, so I
could use some clarification about the changes to systemd.

I have several HDHomeRun tuners, so I need to make mythtv-backend wait
until they are ready.  However, the proposed changes to wait for the
network to be up seem insufficient to me.  It is not the network that
mythtv-backend needs to wait for, but the HDHomeRun tuners.  The tuners
require an IP address, obtained via DHCP, so it seems that
mythtv-backend really needs to wait for the HDHomeRun tuners to get
their IP addresses, which is hard to determine, or at least until the
DHCP server is running.

I remember on my old 0.21 version, I added an HDHomeRun startup script
that waited until it could access the HDHomeRun tuners, and changed the
mythtv-backend startup order to after that to accomplish the wait.  I
have no idea what 14.04 (0.27) is doing here, but moving on to 16.04
(0.28, systemd), seems like something more is needed.

Jay