[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Virtualbox?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at outlook.com
Mon Dec 12 22:12:27 UTC 2016

> On Dec 11, 2016, at 9:21 AM, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> I have a mythtv frontend/backend, but don’t really use that system to watch TV.  Mainly I use remote frontends. I also have a NAS4free NAS to store household computer backups and Mythtv video archives.
>
> When my NAS APC UPS bit the dust, I thought about consolidating hardware. Since neither the NAS nor mythtv backend require large powerful computers, I thought about running NAS4free as a virtual machine under the same Ubuntu system that is running mythtv.  Or I could use the virtualbox option on NAS4free to run mythbuntu as a virtual machine.
>
> I would use a Core i7 3Ghz 8GB DRAM based system to run all this.  I’d save one computer and one UPS.
>
> Anyone have experience with this and could share some guidance??
>
> Jim A

First, thanks for all the suggestions on what works and doesn’t.  It will take some time to put together a production system using VM, but I did do a quick test with HDHR Connect network tuners.

On my NAS4free system that has Virtualbox already installed on version 10.3.0.3.3330, I enabled Virtualbox and install mythbuntu 16.04 and got it working fine using mostly defaults for Main Backend only and HDHR Connect tuners.  Same basic install as running stand alone, except I had to make sure EFI was not enabled in the VM; don’t know why. I gave my mythbuntu VM 2GB of DRAM and 4 processors.  I did not try giving the VM a dedicated hard drive, just let it create and expand it’s virtual HD as it needs to.

My test was successful and I’ll keep playing with the VM to maximize performance. I might try the use PCI pass-thru to get my HVR-2250 PCIe card to work, but that will take shutting down the production system for a while.

Jim A