[mythtv-users] Mythtv and Virtualbox?

rob e redgerhoo at yahoo.com.au
Mon Dec 12 08:00:46 UTC 2016

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 14:21:02 +0000, you wrote:

> I have a mythtv frontend/backend, but don?t really use that system to watch TV.  Mainly I use remote frontends. I also have a NAS4free NAS to store household computer backups and Mythtv video archives.
>
> When my NAS APC UPS bit the dust, I thought about consolidating hardware. Since neither the NAS nor mythtv backend require large powerful computers, I thought about running NAS4free as a virtual machine under the same Ubuntu system that is running mythtv.  Or I could use the virtualbox option on NAS4free to run mythbuntu as a virtual machine.
>
> I would use a Core i7 3Ghz 8GB DRAM based system to run all this.  I?d save one computer and one UPS.
>
> Anyone have experience with this and could share some guidance??
>
> Jim A

I run myth backend in an unpriveleged LXD container, passing USB tuners through. Very low overhead and it works very well.

The same virtual machine also wakes up each night and downloads content.

The machine is a Haswell i5 with 16GB RAM. It also runs KVM VMs for windows gaming and AI development (gpu passthrough). Never misses a beat and has sufficient processing power for all the things I do. All up it's running 4 containers (mix of LXC and LXD) permanently and will periodically run kvm machines as well.

I find containers a really good way to run mythtv. Low overhead, good isolation (easier maintenance) and operational flexibility.

I have run myth in a kvm vm but the overhead is not worthwhile, containers are better for me.