[mythtv-users] Retina Mac frontend playing in 1/4 of the screen?

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Dec 4 02:41:46 UTC 2016

> On Dec 3, 2016, at 9:18 AM, Jon Raiford <Raiford at labware.com> wrote:
>

> > On Dec 2, 2016, at 11:20 AM, Jon Raiford <Raiford at labware.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have one of the new MacBook Pro's (15" retina) running macOS
> > Sierra.  When I play a recorded show, the video plays in the bottom-
> > left corner of the display.  Is there an option somewhere to fix this?
> >
> > I'm running from a macports install.
> >
> > OK, just sthip that machine to me and I’ll test it out for you.
> > Shouldn’t take more than, oh, 4 or 5 years!  ;)
> >
> > Or go into Settings > Video > Playback and check:
> >
> > 9/10 - change the ‘Scale video as necessary’ toggle to on and/or off.
> > 2/10 - perhaps play with the Vertical / Horizontal scaling factors.
>
> Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm going to see if I can figure this out on my own first :p
>
> I tried turning off the "Scale video as necessary", but the video just looked different down in the bottom left corner of the screen (it no longer "fit").
>
> It seems I can get it to temporarily work by playing with the options for setting different resolutions for the GUI and the video playback, however the interface goes crazy and never seems to settle down.  When I unselect the option it all seems to work until I exit and relaunch the frontend.  Then the original problem returns.

So, if I understand correctly, you go into Settings > > Video Mode Settings and define different resolutions for GUI and playback.  What do you mean by “the interface goes crazy”?  Can you take a picture or screen grab?

Then you say “I unselect the option and it all seems to work”.  Do you mean playback of recordings then fill the screen?

Could you please get the frontend log for such a session.  If you use the Applescript helper to launch the frontend, the log can be found in ‘/opt/dvr/var/log/mythtv.27’.

Craig