[mythtv-users] Questions about conversion from analog to digital recording (PVR500 to Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH)

Peter Bennett cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 4 00:43:41 UTC 2016

On 12/03/2016 04:25 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmmmm...
>>
>> I've been looking at various threads on The Green Button forum, and I'm
>> getting the impression that a Ceton tuner might be more trouble than it's
>> worth.
> Remember that the greenbutton forum is (primarily) WMC users.
> And (as Adam says) "Well, there's your problem" :-)
>
> But I do believe someone using the Ceton cards with MythTV
> needs to chime in.

I have a Ceton ETH 6 and it has been working well for about two years
now. Unfortunately Ceton seem to have gone out of business, but if you
can get a used one I would recommend it. The setup on MythTV is easy,
there are web pages served by the Ceton that give the information needed
for pairing it with the cable card.

I bought the Ceton because I was having endless problems with a HD
Homerun Prime (Hangs and Watchdog reboots), which were not resolved in a
replacement unit I received under warranty.

If you have any specific questions I can help. I also have a saved copy
of the latest firmware from January 2015 that addresses a copy protect
problem mentioned by Gary.

Some tips -
1. It gets hot enough to peel the label off. I stand it on a small fan
which keeps it nice and cool, although others say that is unnecessary.
2. There is a memory leak in the firmware. I reboot the Ceton once a
week. If you don't do that it runs out of memory after a month or two,
and may hang or reboot itself.

My main concern with the Ceton is that if it blows up I cannot buy
another one.

Peter