[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu change from MySQL to MariaDB?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Aug 21 02:25:57 UTC 2016

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 20:58:40 +0100, you wrote:

>Does anyone know how to change from using mysql to mariadb if using the
>mythbuntu 16.04 distribution?
>
>I have tried the usual uninstalling mysqlserver and installing
>mariadbserver via apt-get (and removing the mysql directories) but I always
>get to the point where it appears that mariadb is working but the backend
>does not run but the mythconverg database is accessible.
>
>What commands are known or should work for you?
>
>Thanks

When I did it, I found that it wanted to uninstall all of MythTV due
to my having the mythexport and mythimport packages installed, which
have a bad dependency on real MySQL only, instead of a generic
dependency on either MySQL server.  After I had MariaDB installed I
was able to reinstall the MythTV packages (except mythexport and
mythimport).  Then I discovered that the config files for MariaDB are
more complex than for MySQL, as it accepts all the MySQL ones as well
as having some of its own.  The additional complexity resulted, in my
particular setup, in the config files being loaded in a different
order, so some of the settings I was overriding were no longer getting
overridden.  That may be your problem also - do you have access to
MythTV and the database set up so it works from the network (eg other
frontends)?  If so, that setting for the address that MariaDB responds
on may not be being set up correctly, and since your local backend and
frontend will be using that address as well as any other boxes, they
will not be able to access the database.

Sorry I can not be more specific about the config files - my 16.04
testing box is down at the moment as I had to use its power supply to
keep my mother's MythTV box going after her power supply fan went
noisy.  I have the replacement power supply so I should be able to get
my 160.4 box going again tonight with any luck.