[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi Improvements

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Aug 10 15:02:51 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 5:32 PM Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 3:59 PM Peter Bennett <cats22 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 08/09/2016 01:08 PM, jrh wrote:
>> > Nothing I do eliminate the stutter.
>> >
>> I have not seen the speedup and slowdown problem except with the Dolby
>> passthrough. Normally if there is a slowdown you consistently get video
>> behind audio messages. Probably you will have to try the full raspbian.
>> Use the latest one from May 2016 and install updates after setting up
>> the SD card.
>>
>> Some other things to try -
>>
>> For audio playback you can try various ALSA entries from the list, or
>> you can try OpenMAX:hdmi. If ALSA is not working you can try using the
>> raspi-config advanced audio to force audio to HDMI. Changes you make
>> with that will affect the ALSA default but will not affect OpenMAX:hdmi.
>>
>> Make sure in the audio that you select Stereo speakers and not 5.1 or
>> 7.1 - even if you actually have surround speakers.
>>
>> In setup video playback, try both openmax normal and openmax high
>> quality. Do they both give the problem?
>>
>> I have not tried it with Raspbian Lite. The dependencies in the package
>> are based on the normal Raspbian. It is possible that Raspbian Lite is
>> missing some OpenGL component and using a software emulation of OpenGL
>> instead. That causes problems. The package is designed to look for the
>> correct OpenGL libraries but if they are not in the expected place it
>> may instead use the emulation libraries. The OpenMAX high quality
>> profile uses OpenGL.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> I have tried all of the OpenMax vs alsa settings, and manually typed in
> ALSA:Default as mentioned on the wiki... I have tried Normal and High video
> profiles and tweaking all of the relevant settings... even disabling
> deinterlacing made little if any difference with 1080i content.
>
> I do notice that content other than the H264 coming from my HDPVR's seems
> fine, so perhaps if I switched to 720p the problem would go away.
>
> I really suspect it is like you say, something in the Rasbian Lite that is
> missing.  I will take a closer look at the logs to see if its failing to
> detect something (OpenGL, realtime threads, etc).  I know that enabling the
> realtime threads option triggers mythfrontend to attempt several different
> methods, and its possible that the full Rasbian allows them but Lite does
> not?  Either way I will test and report back.
>
> I would greatly appreciate it if you could update the package at some
> point to work on Raspbian Lite .  Would make mythtv-light even light-er.
> My complete. mostly working. frontend fits in 1.7GB, which allows me to use
> an old 2GB SD card that would be thrown away otherwise.  I have spent
> exactly $35 on this frontend (cardboard case and I had cables), sucks
> dropping $10 on a larger SD card just to store apps that will never be used.

So enabling realtime threads (rlimits) didn't do much.  Didn't have any
time to check the logs for other problems.  I did however change my STB to
output a 720p signal instead of 1080i, and other than dropping about 10 fps
the video and audio are smooth (at least its not doing the Curly Shuffle
anymore).  I may need to tweak my HDPVR a bit (bitrate,vbr/cbr,etc)?:

2016-08-10 10:33:46.897511 I [633/633] CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:1906
(AVSync) - Player(0): A/V predict drop frame, dropping frame to catch up.
2016-08-10 10:33:46.992916 I [633/633] CoreContext mythplayer.cpp:1906
(AVSync) - Player(0): A/V predict drop frame, dropping frame to catch up.