[mythtv-users] MPEG2-TS (slightly OT)

Steve Greene sgreene59 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 8 18:52:26 UTC 2016

I was under the impression that US broadcasters have mostly stayed with
MPEG2-TS for off-air ATSC broadcasts. I think they added h264 support to
the ATSC broadcast standard in 2008. Does anyone know if any broadcasters
have made the leap to deploy H264 for broadcast in the U.S.?

I understand many cable systems have made the leap (probably to crowd more
compressed channels into the available distribution "pipe"). I think most
of my provider (Verizon FIOS) is still distributed via MPEG2.

I thought most ATSC tuner cards just grabbed the MPEG2 stream w/o decoding.
Are these same cards capable of grabbing h264 streams? Is Myth able to
handle broadcast h264 pretty seamlessly, now that HEVC/h265 is on the
horizon?

Thanks for your insights.

Steve