[mythtv-users] Deleting recordings

Scott Moncrieff scottcmoncrieff at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 20:27:31 UTC 2016

I have a 3TB drive connected to the backend exclusively for recordings,
video library is stored elsewhere.
I noticed last week that the hard drive only had 400Mb of free space so
deleted a load of old recordings. The backend is set to delete files
immediately but there has been no increase in the free space on the drive
after deleting the recordings 5 days ago.

This is part of the status page in Mythweb:

Disk Usage Summary:
Total Disk Space:
Total Space: 2,861,586 MB
Space Used: 2,466,323 MB
Space Free: 395,263 MB
Space Available After Auto-expire: 4,023,425 MB
Space Used by LiveTV: 21 MB
Space Used by Deleted Recordings: 2,615,302 MB
Space Used by Auto-expirable Recordings: 1,012,839 MB

If I navigate to Watch Recordings in the frontend I can see 1225 recordings
taking up  1577.67gb of space.

Mythweb status is reporting  2.6TB of deleted recordings, I know I only
deleted around 900mb last week.

My questions are, if I have a 3TB drive for recordings, why does it say 4TB
available after auto expire? Is it taking into account other connected
drives or could it be an error adding up ? Only my 3TB drive is set as the
storage directory for the recordings.

I used mythlink to create a folder with symlinks to all recordings flagged
as deleted and there are 891mb of files flagged as deleted, all still
sitting there on the drive. I have written a small script that will follow
those symlinks and actually delete the files but I am not sure how this
will affect the myth database. All the files will still be listed in there
in the deleted or autoexpire list, will that cause me problems? Is it wise
to just delete the files and free up the space?

The 1.577gb of recordings plus the 900mb of deleted and the free space on
the drive adds up correctly. Obviously some kind of problem somewhere if
2.6tb of deleted files is being reported.

Any advice appreciated!