[mythtv-users] OT: default routes

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 08:20:38 UTC 2015

Hoi Simon,

Thursday, September 24, 2015, 9:12:12 AM, you wrote:

> Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This is due to the fact that your tunnel terminates on the gateway
>>> machine. For this reason, the near end of the VPN tunnel uses the public
>>> IP address of the egress interface used. So in the above example the
>>> tunnel terminates on the PPPoE interface's IP address.
>>
>> So if I move the vpn server from the router to the main server...?
>> Will be some hassle to set up, but will probably be simpler then the
>> alternative. I however then still will have to setup some policy
>> routing.

> I don't think that would work, because you'd still have the same
> problem of having the gateway route certain traffic differently -
> only now it doesn't originate on the gateway.

> If you had two routers, you could have the default gateway for the
> whole network pointing to one, and then run routing rules on your
> server to route some of it's traffic via the other. Or if all the
> server traffic were to use the second router, you could just point it's default gateway accordingly.

I've turned my thinking around. I leave the default in place and route
the IP's from my main workstations to the other. That way the tunnels
won't get compromised. Maybe also output from the tunnel, as I plan to
setup my tablet for security to always use the tunnel.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop