[mythtv-users] OT: default routes

John McEntee jmcentee9 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:44:01 UTC 2015

Hi Hika,

from your first e-mail you said, "I need my first connection because it has
a solid IP to connect to by
VPN "

from my understanding you have 2 internet connections.

1.) original slower one with fixed IP

2 ) new faster one with changing IP.

you would like to use the fixed IP for you VPN traffic and the faster one
for web browsing / everything else.

The problem is you want a roaming VPN client (the laptop) to connect from
any IP,  but web browsing / everything else to use the other connection.
Therefore normal routing rules will not work.

Solutions are.

1) 2 routers, one for each connection. (you may be able to visualize this
and only need 1 box.).
2) you may be able to do something with iptables (not sure how at the
moment.)
3) create a custom script / web page that when you first try to connect
with your laptop to the VPN a custom route is created on the router, and is
deleted sometime after the VPN tunnel ceases.

John