[mythtv-users] OT: default routes

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:09:59 UTC 2015

Hoi Simon,

> Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would recommend indeed using the routing table rather than the
>> firewall (i.e. "ip route" rather than iptables).
>>
>> See man ip-route for the syntax. Example:
>>
>> ip route add 192.168.55.0/24 via 192.168.1.254 dev eth1

> But in this case, it's more complicated than can be done in just
> the routing tables. I think he'll need to use iptables (mangle
> table) to set firewall marks (on the VPN traffic) to then use in routing rules.
> If the rules can be just a match on source and/or destination IP
> then it can be done with routing rules - as is the case with the setup I posted an extract from.

> Hmm, thinking a bit more, if this is a dial-in VPN then it might be
> fairly simple. Setup the route rules to route the correct IP(s) via
> each ISP. Then the VPN egress traffic will go out with the same IP
> it came in on, dial in to the second IP and you'll automatically use
> that ISP for the traffic. Normal routing will shunt the private traffic down the tunnel.

> For a VPN originating in the network, that'll need rules (probably
> iptables) to identify the VPN packets and route them accordingly.
> Some creative use of masq entries, and multiple internal IPs, could
> get around the need to use fw marks for a VPN originating inside the network.

The VPN traffic through the tunnel is I think not the problem. There
are routing lines in place for that, both for the endpoints and for
between the two networks on both sides. It's the build-up and
maintenance of the tunnel itself. And the internet ip adres on the
other side varies. The one because the other side doesn't have a solid
adres and the other because it comes from my laptop or tablet.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop