[mythtv-users] HD-PVR strangeness and "new high-speed USB device" messages

Fred Hamilton fred at yonkitime.com
Mon Sep 14 19:37:15 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Dan Wilga <
mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:

> That makes me think it's either the power supply, as you suspect, or the
> USB port on the computer. I'd suggest you try using a completely separate
> USB port (preferably on a different bus) before spending money to replace
> the power supply.

While we're on the subject of HD-PVR power supplies, here's way to build a
reliable HD-PVR power supply on the cheap (or for free):

You can use any quality USB "wall wart" (wall adapter) that outputs 5V at
at least 1.0 amps (more than 1A is OK, too - the adapter only sends as much
current as the HD-PVR needs).  When my HD-PVR power supply died (after also
becoming less and less reliable over time), I just found an old USB wall
wart and an old USB cable, cut my old HD-PVR's cable in half, cut the USB
cable in half, and soldered the 5V and ground lines from the PC-end of the
USB cable to the "back of the HD-PVR" end of the PVR's old power supply
cable (you have to make sure you use the right USB lines and get the
polarity right).

In my case the adapter was basically free and it's worked fine for years.
Many PC's can supply 1A or more from their USB ports.  As a test, I was
able to run the HD-PVR powered from a USB port on my PC (though I switched
back to the wall wart because of pre-existing wiring constraints).

If anyone wants to do this and has questions I'm happy to help.

-Fred