[mythtv-users] TORC iPhone/iPad remote detection of frontends

Marc Tousignant myrdhn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:16:24 UTC 2015

I tried emailing Robert directly, but have not gotten a reply. Hoping
someone else can answer the question I have.

I have 3 ionitx based frontends, each one boots using PXE and each one had
its own NFS share as its root. This means I have 3 full root partitions with
all dependencies, and myth.

In this setup, when I open the TORC app, I see all 3 frontends
auto-detected, and I can select each one and using the remote portion,
control that frontend.

In trying to save space on the partition I allocated to them, as well as
freeing up space for testing purposes, I switched to AUFS which allows me to
layer folders on top of each other. What this means is I can have one root
folder with a system specific folder layered on top of it for system
specific customizations, like hostnames, machine-id, screen resolution
settings for X, etc. It is working great, no issues running the machines
this way, or watching shows in myth with one exception.

The issue I have run into, is that with this setup, the TORC app no longer
auto-detects any of the frontends. Strangely the remote still works for one
of the machines even though there is no frontend selectable.

If I add in the 3 machines via their ip, I can switch between them, but the
remote functionality does not work unless I switch back to the one that was
working.

I am looking for how the TORC app recognizes each frontend as unique, and
I'm thinking it is something other than the machine-id or hostname because
of the issues I am seeing. It might be something that is determined at
compile time, which seems a bit stupid if you ask me, but if I can find that
one missing element, I will be able to fix this.

MarcT