[mythtv-users] Motorola DCX3200-M

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Sep 3 13:29:43 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 10:44 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> I had an online chat with Shaw tech support that commiserated with the hoops one has to jump through for HD. He verified that HD is available on both HDMI and Component but couldn't say anything about Firewire.

If they're blocking digital recording, you won't be able to capture
video with firewire.  If you're lucky, you can use it for channel
changing instead of messing with an IR blaster.

> So I will presume I need a HD-PVR

Yes.

> However, there are also HDMI to Composite/S-Video boxes like this: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45668

That looks fishy.  I've never heard of anyone using Composite/S-Video
for HD.  I suspect that the specs listed on that page are just wrong
and that box scales everything down to SD.

> Would that replace a HD-PVR?

No.  Even if it somehow magically worked, you would still need
something to capture the analog signal.

> That's still two external boxes, either or both with their own issues (UPS, crappy power supplies). Then I'd still need a HD capture card,

No, the HDPVR is a capture "card".  You don't need anything beyond the
set-top-box from your provider, the HDPVR, and a computer with a USB
port to run MythTV.  Digital cable is converted to analog component by
the STB, analog component is converted to USB by the HDPVR, and the
USB video is recorded to disk by MythTV.

Eric