[mythtv-users] Motorola DCX3200-M

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Sep 3 02:44:16 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, September 01, 2015 05:54:36 PM Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Mark Hutchinson <mark.h at me.com> wrote:
> >> If you are using an HDPVR, does this not become a non issue?
> >
> > He is not using an HDPVR.
> >
> > Using an HDPVR is one option, but it really should be the option of
> > last resort, when no other simpler, cheaper method is available.
>
> In Canada, for Cable HD, it is pretty much the only option.
> OCUR tuners are not supported in Canada, although it
> is possible that Shaw has even disabled the component
> outputs on their DCX (most DCX boxes have HDMI,
> component, composite and RF outputs (SD format
> only for RF and composite)).
>
> Note that there are some DCX variants (original, M2, M3)
> that have some different configurations, so you have to
> check to specifics.

I had an online chat with Shaw tech support that commiserated with the hoops one has to jump through for HD. He verified that HD is available on both HDMI and Component but couldn't say anything about Firewire.

So I will presume I need a HD-PVR and there are a few 1212s in my local used market. However, there are also HDMI to Composite/S-Video boxes like this: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45668 which has a note about HDCP being lost in the conversion. Would that replace a HD-PVR?

That's still two external boxes, either or both with their own issues (UPS, crappy power supplies). Then I'd still need a HD capture card, so maybe no savings there - already over $200 before a card. There's also the issue of routing HD to the 1212 and SD to another capture card.

Practically speaking, I'd get more bang for my buck and effort to use the DCT-700 I got for free to get all the channels that got moved to digital (of which I want a whole maybe 10/30), and then maybe later try some OTA HD. An HVR-2250 would serve those purposes well - I think - can it record a digital SD stream and OTA HD at the same time?.

So much work to sit on my butt even more!

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca