[mythtv-users] Motorola DCX3200-M

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Sep 2 19:13:44 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 2:12 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> Agreed.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around what happened in
>> Eldred v. Ashcroft.
>
> Lessig possibly screwed up.

He has said as much himself, but I doubt it would have made much
difference.  I believe the justices understood the issues and what
they were doing.  Tweaking the emphasis of his arguments probably
would not have changed the opinions of three of them.

>> The fact that these cases are not settled unanimously underscores how
>> much copyright law is filled with grey areas. [..]

>[..] which is why one would want to talk to
> *your own* lawyer for specific advice for your situation.

One lawyer really isn't enough.  If supreme court justices can't
agree, you can't trust the opinion of only one lawyer.  If you want to
watch Game of Thrones two hours after it originally aired on your
legally subscribed and paid for channel, you really need a legal team
with a statistically valid sample size of opinions before you can
proceed with that sort of thing.

Eric