[mythtv-users] Trying To Get Two IR Receivers Working

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:53:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 10/19/2015 1:02 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>
>> Hi Kirk,
>>
>> If you want context, look at this archived thread:
>>

>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/engine?do=post_view_flat;post=587593;page=1;mh=-1;list=mythtv;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC
>>
>> in which I went through similar frustration as you that was related to
>> the USB 2.0/3.0 issue.  It's a long thread and there are a lot of dead
>> ends, so look in particular for the last reply from Nick Morrott which
>> points to a discussion of the kernel patch.
>>
>> If you want to go straight to the patch discussion:
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2203116.
>>
>> -Jerry
>>

> Many thanks for these links Jerry.
>
> I just don't know if this is my problem. These posts are quite old and
> refer to the 3.6 kernel. I'm working with Fedora 22 and the 4.1 kernel. If
> these are important patches wouldn't they have been worked in already?
>
> I'm disheartened that the experts here weren't able to help me.
> *Especially* with the older receiver that *was* working with CentOS. So
> yeah, some fundamental problem here: xhci, ECS Liva, the Feng Shui in my
> office? Most frustrating.
>
> When I get time, I think I'll try Fedora 23 Beta and see what happens. I
> think I saw a post elsewhere that Alec was pushing lirc 0.9.3 into Fedora
> 23.

Kirk, I tried putting both Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.04 (so I think up through
kernel 3.19) on the Liva, and both had the problem in irw with broken
non-constant codes being reported.

I don't know about your other problem, but the issue with xHCI still
persisted with more recent kernels than 3.6.  I don't know about 4.x, but I
should try that once ubuntu 15.10 drops.  Patching the low level xHCI
driver fixed it for me.  I believe this is not fixable in lirc, since the
data will still be going through the xHCI driver underneath, but this is
not my specialty so I won't swear to it.  You can look at the driver file
in the kernel repository browser to see if it changed since 3.19.

-Jerry