[mythtv-users] Open VPN server on backend

Per Hatlevik jakeisawake at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 04:42:46 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Ian Evans <dheianevans at gmail.com> wrote:

> My combined frontend/backend has 2gb of RAM. After too many times of
> needing a file from the home network, I'm thinking of running an openvpn
> server. Anyone running one on their MythTV box? Is it pretty light load
> wise?

after a quick google search i found at least three discussions:

http://serverfault.com/questions/31556/openvpn-hardware-requirements
http://serverfault.com/questions/258121/open-vpn-maximum-client-limit-and-hardware-requirements
https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/2cwqi6/hosting_an_openvpn_server_cpu_requirements/

those all seem to indicate very light on the CPU usage. from my own
anecdotal experience i have no problem running openvpn on my mythtv-backend.

the machine is not overly powerful: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3240 CPU @
3.40GHz. i did a test when i first set up openvpn and this machine can
saturate the bandwidth on my gigabit LAN.

hope that helps!

best regards,

per hatlevik