HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Nov 18 19:46:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 12:38 +0000, Jason Kitching wrote:
> > Hoi Jason,

> >> It's not that it judders on 24fps, far from it, very smooth, the panel
> >> performs better at 60fps when showing 24fps content (known issue on
> >> the
> >> panasonic plasma forums).
> >
> >> I can manually make the switch to run on 60fps, but my query is
> >> whether
> >> I can get the xorg to automatically send 24fps out as 60fps, to save
> >> me
> >> having to manually update everytime I swtich from 24fps to 50fps.
> >>
> The "Monitor" on the xorg is in fact my AV Receiver, which is set to
> just pass through the video signal. This is then hooked up to the Plasma
> tv and both accept and run 24fps. Possible i've completely messed up the
> HorizSync and VertRefresh the amount of manual editing I've been doing
> to the file recently.
>
> As for losing any quality, the picture is exactly the same quality (that
> I can see anyway) whether it's 24hz or 60hz in nvidia-settings. The only
> difference being that the plasma telly handles posterization better on
> 60hz than it does on 24hz. That's the only reason why I now switch to
> 60hz when any 24fps material is being shown.

The driver will just add your custom modelines to the total pool of
available modes unless you tell it to ignore the others..

Unless this "VertRefresh     56.0 - 62.0" is being ignored because it
does not compute with the custom modelines then you're getting 60Hz
output only.
You can read thru' /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to find out..

If you remove the 24p modeline & have 60p (59.xx) mode the default then
video card will convert 24->60p with pull-down. Change the metamode in
device section to be 60Hz.
Sadly VDPAU does not (yet) have a 24p frame rate doubler..

Remove (comment out) the interlaced modelines because the video card
should be better than the TV.

The remaining 2 modelines are not right, they are just made up for some
old projector (VGA possibly).
The ~60Hz one should be using reduced vertical blank timing:
Modeline "1920x1080R"  138.50  1920 1968 2000 2080  1080 1083 1088 1111
+hsync -vsync
 and the 50Hz one:
Modeline "1920x1080_50.00"  141.50  1920 2032 2232 2544  1080 1083 1088
1114 -hsync +vsync

Blm