[mythtv-users] advice on recording direct to NAS

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue May 26 02:55:47 UTC 2015

Hoi Will,

Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 4:05:49 AM, you wrote:

> On 5/25/15 9:45 PM, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> In my opinion that's a commercial fable! I've been running raid with
>> up to 5 disks in a box for maybe 15 years. And I still have to see my
>> first real failure. But then it's longer ago then that, that I've used
>> seagate. Just watch ventilation and dust.

> Even with 15 years of evidence, that's still just anecdotal.  The folks
> at BackBlaze, however, have worked with a number of drives large enough
> to draw some conclusions.   See
> <https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-long-do-disk-drives-last/> and
> related blog entries.

> Use scheduled SMART self-tests and have smartd configured to email you
> in cases of pending drive failure.   Otherwise, don't be surprised when
> your drive dies.

Interesting, but it doesn't tell about a possible effect of multiple
disks in a box. And that was what I was calling a commercial fable.

It does say though that the effectiveness of smart is discutabel.
I use raid1 and it will mail me on failure. So far the only failure
was caused by a bad cable. The chances of the second disk failing,
before I can replace or fix the first, are extremely slim. And for the
things that really matter I keep backups.

So no NAS for me.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven