[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Gerald Brandt gbr at majentis.com
Wed May 20 15:26:58 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-20 10:15 AM, Damian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm really surprised to hear so many of you moving over to Kodi as a
> front end. Am I right in thinking that Kodi is based on (or 'is')
> XBMC? I have tried XMBC roughly once every year or two since it came
> out as I feel I must be 'missing something'. Every time I try it, I
> uninstall it after a couple of days. I find it repeatedly horrible to
> set up, sluggish and ugly (compared to the best Myth themes) and I
> just don't see any benefits. I think MythTV with one of the nice
> themes (like the most recent Steppes), is SO much better.
>
> What am I missing? What is it about XBMC/Kodi that people like and
> even prefer?
>
> I'm not trying to be on a high horse, I'm genuinely interested.
>
> Maybe XBMC/Kodi doesn't work very well with Ubuntu/MythBuntu setups
> for some reason?
>
> Looking forward to reading your thoughts,
> Damian
The *ONLY* reason I switched to Kodi was to get away from MythMusic.
The WAF dropped, and Kodi has some issues with a couple of recordings
(doesn't know recording length, so can't fast forward.  Mythfrontend
does fine).

If Mythmusic was a usable interface, I would never have switched.

Gerald

ps: I use Mythbuntu throughout.