[mythtv-users] What's the deal with Kodi?

Tom Bishop bishoptf at gmail.com
Wed May 20 15:25:47 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Damian <myth at surr.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm really surprised to hear so many of you moving over to Kodi as a front
> end. Am I right in thinking that Kodi is based on (or 'is') XBMC? I have
> tried XMBC roughly once every year or two since it came out as I feel I
> must be 'missing something'. Every time I try it, I uninstall it after a
> couple of days. I find it repeatedly horrible to set up, sluggish and ugly
> (compared to the best Myth themes) and I just don't see any benefits. I
> think MythTV with one of the nice themes (like the most recent Steppes), is
> SO much better.
>
> What am I missing? What is it about XBMC/Kodi that people like and even
> prefer?
>
> I'm not trying to be on a high horse, I'm genuinely interested.
>
> Maybe XBMC/Kodi doesn't work very well with Ubuntu/MythBuntu setups for
> some reason?
>
> Looking forward to reading your thoughts,
> Damian

Probably depends on what you are doing etc, I find kodi extremely easy to
set up but all of my content is on an NFS share, I can spool up a KODI
install and my flavor of choice is openelec, but I can spin one up in less
then 5 minutes point to my sources and syncs up and it just works.  Kind of
a tomato, tomaato kind of a thing, my primary use is to serve up my movies
and now use it as a myth frontend.

Backend that I am using currently is mythbuntu, but the latest one I built
was based on linux mint and that is probably be what I use in the future
going forward.  But I like options so what ever folks like to use and works
for them I'm all for it, that is one of the great things about open source,
lots of choices.

:)