[mythtv-users] Wrong Channel when recording?

Roger Martensson roger.martensson at gmail.com
Thu May 14 15:40:43 UTC 2015

Den 14 maj 2015 17:22 skrev "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:

> On 05/14/2015 11:09 AM, Roger Martensson wrote:
>>
>> So today I have same channum and same callsign.  It looks as it is
selecting the HD channel but when watching the recording it has recorded
from the SD channel.

> By definition, there's no way you can say, "It looks as it is selecting
the HD channel," because there's no way to tell them apart (to say which
one it looks like it's selecting) when they have the same channel number
and call sign.  :)

When I say it looks like it is choosing the right channel it is because of
this row in the backend row:
May 13 22:00:00 tvpc mythbackend: mythbackend[21392]: I Scheduler
scheduler.cpp:2689 (HandleRecordingStatusChange) Tuning recording: "Grey's
Anatomy":"Time Stops": channel 3257 on cardid 20, sourceid 2

And when looking in the database:
|    3257 | 5       |        |        2 | Kanal 5  | Kanal 5 HD |
hd.kanal5.se.png  |

That's why my confusion.

Your other explenation helped me understand that myth expects the channels
to be exact match in every sense including broadcast quality. So I my case
it is actually two separate channels even if I mentally don't see it that
way. =)

> You may be saying, "MythWeb (or mythfrontend?) is showing me the program
details for the show on the HDTV channel when I select the show in Upcoming
Recordings," but that has nothing to do with what the scheduler is going to
do--it's just showing you the program details, not the "scheduled
recording" details.

> If you look at the backend status, it will show, "The next 10 shows that
are scheduled for recording" and shows the "encoder" (input) and call
sign.  If you use mythbackend --printsched it shows the channel number, the
call sign, the source, the card, and the input.  But none of those will
tell you which of the 2 "identical for the purposes of Live TV and
scheduling" (due to identical channel numbers and identical call signs,
respectively) channels will be used to record it (at least in your
one-input system).