[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup issue: KWorld USB ATSC TV Stick UB435-Q V3

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Mon Mar 30 23:17:41 UTC 2015

Here's the latest in my saga of trying to get this device functioning
under my newly-installed MythTV under Gentoo. In brief, the stick works if
I use VLC, but it's still unavailable for selection when I go through
mythtv-setup.

Here are some details. I booted the machine into a live Mythbuntu session
but was not able to accomplish much in connection with the USB stick that
way. So while I was booted into that environment and thus had VLC
available to me, I decided to research what would be involved in trying to
view live TV via the stick using VLC. I ran across this thread
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=66311 which allowed me to do a
channel scan, using

scan -vvv -a 0 /usr/share/dvb/atsc/us-ATSC-center-frequencies-8VSB -o zap -x -1 -A 1 >channels.conf

and to load a list of stations that could be detected through the stick
and to cat those into a file. Then, using the command

vlc atsc:// :dvb-frequency=########### :dvb-modulation=8VSB --program=#

I was able to tune in stations one at a time using the stick, and to watch
them in VLC under the Mythbuntu live session. I then decided to boot back
into Gentoo, install VLC and try the same there. I got essentially the
same results under my Gentoo install: I could watch any of those stations
that had been detected by entering that same command.

Does not this experiment prove that all the modules needed for this stick
to function are present in my Gentoo OS? If so, then I can focus my
efforts on determining why this device seems to be unavailable for
selection in mythtv-setup. The stick is fully functional, but somehow
MythTV won't let me add it.