[mythtv-users] MythtTV on Gentoo: resources?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 19:25:20 UTC 2015

Hoi James,

> Coupla questions about the Gentoo installation procedures.

> First, on Mythbuntu there was always a pre-created mythtv user. You were
> expected to add your own user and not to operate as mythtv. I gather from
> looking over the notes that this additional user is not needed under a
> Gentoo MythTV installation, correct? Whatever unpriviledged user the one
> carrying out the installation adds will suffice?

There is no user created. It's up to you to do it as you want it.
That said, it IS wise to create a special user to run the backend and
the frontend. You don't want to run it as root and (at least I) don't
want to run under my own account.
You need to make that user member of the video, cdrom, etc group.

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, david brooke wrote:

> Regarding step 8.:

>> 8. Allow remote frontends access: (See example using mythtv as user, mythtv
>> as password and root as user, 1234 as password)
>>
>> # mysql -u root -p1234
>> MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'192.168.97.%'
>> IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';
>> ***Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)***output only!
>> MariaDB [(none)]> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
>> ***Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)***output only!
>> MariaDB [(none)]> exit
>> ***Bye***output only!

> This will be a combined FE/BE. No remote access is planned nor, I believe,
> will be needed. This step, then, can be eliminated for my purposes?

As long as the user is created and has sufficient rights. I believe
there is an sql script included to setup the database. I'll check.

> Finally, will the directory structure for MythTV be essentially the same
> under Gentoo as it was under Mythbuntu? I.e., with most media, including
> recorded television, being under /var/lib/mythtv? Wondering about that
> because that's typically where, in the past, I've mounted my large hard
> drive.

It is wise to dedicate a separate volume for your recordings. Where
you mount it is up to you. It however is wise to use a subdirectory on
that volume, so that, if for whatever weird reason it fails to mount,
your root volume won't fill up!

It's the the nice thing about Gentoo, you and only you are in control!