[mythtv-users] MythtTV on Gentoo: resources?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Mar 24 18:55:16 UTC 2015

Coupla questions about the Gentoo installation procedures.

First, on Mythbuntu there was always a pre-created mythtv user. You were
expected to add your own user and not to operate as mythtv. I gather from
looking over the notes that this additional user is not needed under a
Gentoo MythTV installation, correct? Whatever unpriviledged user the one
carrying out the installation adds will suffice?

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, david brooke wrote:

Regarding step 8.:

> 8. Allow remote frontends access: (See example using mythtv as user, mythtv
> as password and root as user, 1234 as password)
>
> # mysql -u root -p1234
> MariaDB [(none)]> GRANT ALL ON mythconverg.* TO 'mythtv'@'192.168.97.%'
> IDENTIFIED BY 'mythtv';
> ***Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)***output only!
> MariaDB [(none)]> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
> ***Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)***output only!
> MariaDB [(none)]> exit
> ***Bye***output only!

This will be a combined FE/BE. No remote access is planned nor, I believe,
will be needed. This step, then, can be eliminated for my purposes?

Finally, will the directory structure for MythTV be essentially the same
under Gentoo as it was under Mythbuntu? I.e., with most media, including
recorded television, being under /var/lib/mythtv? Wondering about that
because that's typically where, in the past, I've mounted my large hard
drive.

Thanks.