[mythtv-users] MythtTV on Gentoo: resources?

James Miller gajs-f0el at dea.spamcon.org
Tue Mar 24 16:25:56 UTC 2015

Thanks for your replies, Hika and Rich.

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Use a simple window manager for your frontend. I use evilwm. If you
>> use gnome you will get pulseaudio and worse systemd.
>> If you use the proprietary nvidia drivers, be sure to have your kernel
>> clean of drm and kms when you compile it, else you get opengl mixups.
>> (nvidia will partially link against loaded modules!)
>> This means initially install the kernel with only ancient vesa
>> framebuffer support when you pull in nvidia.
>> If you want I can sent you my back and frontend start scripts.
>
> Some of this depends on the nature of the box.  If you're running
> mythfrontend on a desktop-oriented box, then for the most part you
> just install it and launch it like any application and it generally
> just works.  If you want something that you're sticking in your living
> room and controlling with a remote control, then you need to get it to
> auto-launch and set up lirc/etc.  Gentoo already includes scripts to
> simplify this, and I've gotten this working both with openrc and
> systemd fairly easily.  In such a configuration I wouldn't use any
> window manager at all, unless you're doing something other than mythtv
> as well.  You can just launch mythtv full-screen directly under X11
> and it is designed to work just fine.

I'd thought of going with evilwm since I am already familiar with it (used
it for a year or so on my office machine). I definitely will avoid gnome
at all costs, and there are no nvidia drivers in play here (the Liva has
Intel video). As to remotes, I've got a device that looks like a remote
but that mimics a keyboard to the computer: it's worked fine on my old
MythTV set-up, so I think I'll stick with using it.

I'm very interested in the possibility of running MythTV without a WM. The
machine in question will be a dedicated FE/BE and that will be its only
use, so I see no point in having a WM on it. How is running MythTV in
this way this accomplished? And how do I prevent Gentoo from dragging in a
WM when installing MythTV?

Input will be appreciated.