[mythtv-users] MythtTV on Gentoo: resources?

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:39:32 UTC 2015

Hoi James,

> Thanks for your replies, Hika and Rich.

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:

>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Use a simple window manager for your frontend. I use evilwm. If you
>>> use gnome you will get pulseaudio and worse systemd.
>>> If you use the proprietary nvidia drivers, be sure to have your kernel
>>> clean of drm and kms when you compile it, else you get opengl mixups.
>>> (nvidia will partially link against loaded modules!)
>>> This means initially install the kernel with only ancient vesa
>>> framebuffer support when you pull in nvidia.
>>> If you want I can sent you my back and frontend start scripts.
>>
>> Some of this depends on the nature of the box.  If you're running
>> mythfrontend on a desktop-oriented box, then for the most part you
>> just install it and launch it like any application and it generally
>> just works.  If you want something that you're sticking in your living
>> room and controlling with a remote control, then you need to get it to
>> auto-launch and set up lirc/etc.  Gentoo already includes scripts to
>> simplify this, and I've gotten this working both with openrc and
>> systemd fairly easily.  In such a configuration I wouldn't use any
>> window manager at all, unless you're doing something other than mythtv
>> as well.  You can just launch mythtv full-screen directly under X11
>> and it is designed to work just fine.

> I'd thought of going with evilwm since I am already familiar with it (used
> it for a year or so on my office machine). I definitely will avoid gnome
> at all costs, and there are no nvidia drivers in play here (the Liva has
> Intel video). As to remotes, I've got a device that looks like a remote
> but that mimics a keyboard to the computer: it's worked fine on my old
> MythTV set-up, so I think I'll stick with using it.

> I'm very interested in the possibility of running MythTV without a WM. The
> machine in question will be a dedicated FE/BE and that will be its only
> use, so I see no point in having a WM on it. How is running MythTV in
> this way this accomplished? And how do I prevent Gentoo from dragging in a
> WM when installing MythTV?

> Input will be appreciated.

It won't

start the backend through the init service script and the frontend
through xinit. It in a way then becomes the wm. Ones you close the
frontend X closes. Or better said, if the last app you start through
xinit closes. You can use mythwelcome as a shell to prevent this X
closing. I don't like mythwelcome so I use an xconsole.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
Zonder leven is er geen hoop