[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi as a slave backend server

Dave MythTV dave.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 16:56:39 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:22 PM, jrh <jharbestonus at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have experimented some using the raspberry pi as a slave backend server
> and have had generally good results with caveats.
>
> Configuration:
> Raspberry Pi Slave backends running v 27.4(dated in November)
> NFS mount to the Master backend for the mythtv directories.
> Hauppauge USB HVR-950Q tuner(1 only ) (configured only 1 virtual tuner so
> only 1 recording)
> I did not configure the analog side of the tuner, only the digital part.
>
> Using a Raspberry Pi model B and B+:
>
> Able to record Standard Definition mpg video stream.
> When attempting to record 720p or 1080i streams, there would consistently
> be TFW taking to long errors.
>
> Using a Raspberry Pi 2 model B: (the quad core version)
>
> Able to record Standard Definition mpg video stream
> Able to record both 720p and 1080i streams up to 15mbps!
>
> In summary, for 1 stream and a USB TV stick The RPi 2 is a viable
> masterbackend with the above conditions. I didn’t try multiple streams off
> the same real channel, but I suspicion the Pi 2 would be able to handle it.
>
> Note that I did not try analog recording as there are no analog NTSC Over
> the air broadcast stations in the area and so I didn’t even try to
> configure the analog side.

Thanks for sharing this information!

A few quick questions for you:
1) Which Linux distribution are you using?
2) I'm assuming this testing was with a wired network (and not a USB
wireless adapter)?
3) Do you have any thoughts on the source of the TFW errors on the Pi 1?
Such as, whether the TFW errors with the Pi 1 were related to the CPU
USB system?  (Since it kept up OK with standard definition streams, I'm
wondering if the Pi 1 might be sufficient as a high-definition slave
backend if it recorded directly to a small local USB hard drive, or even to
its own SD card, and then did a non-realtime NFS data transfer back to the
master backend when the tuner was idle?)

Keep us posted on how things go if you try multiple streams or multiple
tuners on the Pi 2!

Thanks
- Dave