[mythtv-users] Raspberry Pi as a slave backend server

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 02:22:26 UTC 2015

I have experimented some using the raspberry pi as a slave backend server and have had generally good results with caveats.

Configuration:
Raspberry Pi Slave backends running v 27.4(dated in November)
NFS mount to the Master backend for the mythtv directories.
Hauppauge USB HVR-950Q tuner(1 only ) (configured only 1 virtual tuner so only 1 recording)
I did not configure the analog side of the tuner, only the digital part.

Using a Raspberry Pi model B and B+:

Able to record Standard Definition mpg video stream.
When attempting to record 720p or 1080i streams, there would consistently be TFW taking to long errors.

Using a Raspberry Pi 2 model B: (the quad core version)

Able to record Standard Definition mpg video stream
Able to record both 720p and 1080i streams up to 15mbps!

In summary, for 1 stream and a USB TV stick The RPi 2 is a viable masterbackend with the above conditions. I didn’t try multiple streams off the same real channel, but I suspicion the Pi 2 would be able to handle it.

Note that I did not try analog recording as there are no analog NTSC Over the air broadcast stations in the area and so I didn’t even try to configure the analog side.