James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Thu Mar 5 00:55:54 UTC 2015

> On 5 Mar 2015, at 6:06 am, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>> I would think ?OK the dongle is broken? except other channels *do* record and restarting backend ?fixes? the issue.
>
> Just to clarify, do other channels, using the same cardid (1)
> record after the failure?  Or does once the cardid fail, it stays
> failed, but only for the Science Channel?
>
> And what usb dongle is this exactly?  I do not recall any
> dual ones other than hybrid analog+digital (which are not
> exactly dual)
>
> If this is one of the hybrid analog+digital devices, have
> you configured the inputgroups so prevent use of the
> (shared) tuner at the same time?
>
> I would not be surprised that there are additional
> issues (I know of one during initialization) with the
> hybrid usb dongles that internally share various
> components, and take time to transition from one
> type to the other.  The best advice was usually
> to dedicate any particular device to either analog
> or digital (it avoided the sharing challenges).  Yes,
> it should all get fixed.  I am sure the usual answer
> applies.

Hauppage NOVA-TD USB Dual Digital Tuner

http://cplonline.com.au/hauppage-nova-td-usb-dual-digital-tuner-with-mce-remote-novatdusb.htmlgclid=Cj0KEQiA99qnBRDnrYCkt4ClzZABEiQAvqPaLKmOh-iN1LIZe4fzTT2iIQMtEz3IhXbyO7Y5bVs3EdIaAi-x8P8HAQ

My box with 2 DVICO and a TWINHAM (pci) card was getting the occasional 0 byte recording, was also getting occasional pixelated and squarky recordings despite being in metro Perth with a decent outside antenna
http://www.bunnings.com.au/antsig-metro-medium-digital-outdoor-antenna_p4360384
and no obvious obstructions. 5Km line of sight to the city over the river then a further straight line 10Km to the transmitters.

Hence new backend box with USB tuners since the box was a NUC

The channels that pixelate tune with a signal strength of 25%, the ‘good’ channels tune with 60% both say S/N of cica 2 db.

I’ll do more research to see what is the ongoing status, usually the response to a failed-recording is to restart quick before the next recording is due

OfCourse after days of failed recordings it's purring along with perfect results

James