[mythtv-users] Open Source Linux driver for Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1080p over HDMI) released!

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Tue Mar 3 01:39:23 UTC 2015

> I believe one of us is confused, since last I was aware
> Hauppauge was still selling (as new) the 1212 units.

They're getting harder and harder to find via the typical retail
channels (i.e. Newegg, Amazon, etc).

> And while I can conjecture, do you know something
> I do not, or is this just FUD?

I would assume he's suggesting that the 1212 is a pretty old design,
has had pretty poor reliability from the start, and the HDPVR2 is
generally a newer/better/more robust hardware design which is readily
available just about anywhere.  That said, my suggestion as to what
he's thinking is entirely conjecture.  :-)

All that said though, is there any indication that this is actually an
open source release, as opposed to unintentionally leaked source code?
 Not that I want to be the naysayer here, but if you actually look at
the contents of the tarball, it's riddled with copyrighted code and
code explicitly marked as proprietary/confidential.  Also note that
there is absolutely no sign of anything explicitly released under an
actual open source license (GPL, BSD, or otherwise), aside from the
fact that it's got a copy of libusb bundled with it (which is LGPL).

I know it's up on Hauppauge's public FTP server, but that's not really
any indication this is an authorized release.  That said, the OP might
have some additional info that he didn't mention in the original email
as to how he was directed to it (and under what terms it was
provided).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs