[mythtv-users] MythTV on Kodi

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 05:26:01 UTC 2015

> I've been using kodi as my frontend to mythbacked for a year or two now. I
> initially had similar issues to others above with regard to trying to make
> kodi match our mythtv usage habits, but have got my setup to a pretty good
> place after a bit of custom work.
>
> I never found a skin that was close enough to mythfrontend for me, so I
> started hacking on metropolis until it was close enough to my myth skin for
> my significant other to accept without too much re-learning.
> It's at https://gitlab.alelec.net/corona/skin.corona or in my kodi repo
> if anyone wants to give it a try:
> http://www.alelec.net/kodi/repository.alelec.zip
> No, I don't have any screenshots sorry :-)
>
> I use it with a very custom keymap to get as much of my keyboard/remote
> mapping to match myth as possible: https://gitlab.alelec.net/snippets/7
> (goes in <kodi userdata>/userdata/keymaps/alelec_keymap.xml where userdata
> is http://kodi.wiki/view/userdata )
>
> These together make right go back a menu rather than pull out the side
> menu, and escape in video stops it when going to menus rather than leaving
> it running in background, along with various other changes.
>
> I've tried to make tv things like recordings and guide more closely match
> myth's layouts, and so on. Basically we don't switch to mythfrontend
> anymore, except where there's a more complex guide recording issue and I
> can't be bothered finding something to look at mythweb on.

Sounds good - I may give that a go. I have been using Kodi but not as a
frontend for MythTV. When it comes to recording and watching TV I think the
functionality on Mythfrontend outweighs what's available in Kodi. As an
example, I have a recording template for Movies which has a set of
customised settings that are used when recording a program listed as a
movie. I don't think Kodi allows you to do this, and neither does Mythweb
for that matter - so Mythfrontend has some features that are really useful
and not available using any other frontend UI.