[mythtv-users] MythTV on Kodi

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Jun 25 16:29:28 UTC 2015

On 6/24/2015 10:26 PM, Phill Edwards wrote:

> Sounds good - I may give that a go. I have been using Kodi but not as
> a frontend for MythTV. When it comes to recording and watching TV I
> think the functionality on Mythfrontend outweighs what's available in
> Kodi. As an example, I have a recording template for Movies which has
> a set of customised settings that are used when recording a program
> listed as a movie. I don't think Kodi allows you to do this, and
> neither does Mythweb for that matter - so Mythfrontend has some
> features that are really useful and not available using any other
> frontend UI.

Small logical disconnect here. When I started this thread (I love it
when a thread takes off like this!) I never intended to use Kodi for
recording -- that's the function of Myth*Backend*. That's why I have a
big, beefy server with terabytes of storage in the garage for.
Mythfrontend, of course, does not perform recording. When you have a
unified solo box it runs both mythfrontend and mythbackend. Perfectly
acceptable and the way I started using MythTV many years ago.

But my inquiry was on replacing my frontends with something small. I
mean really small. Raspberry Pi small. The consensus is that the
hardware has arrived for frontend functionality. Now we need the software.