[mythtv-users] MythTV on Kodi

John Marshall mythtv at marshallparty.org
Tue Jun 23 17:29:05 UTC 2015

On 6/23/2015 12:26 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
> Honestly, Kodi is a much more capable media player than mythtv
> frontend.  The only reason I don't like it is that I feel that the PVR
> plugin lacks some UI features that my family has gotten very used to
> over the last 10+ years with mythtv.  For example:
>
>   * Commercial notify but do not skip (a pull request was submitted for
>     this feature just today:
>     http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=208206&pid=2035922#pid2035922)
>   * Folder based video library... this may be possible with custom
>     menus, but I haven't quite figured it out yet.
>   * Scheduling... curious about how the changes in 0.28 will change my
>     family's use of mythweb... right now they don't like using it.
>   * Leaving recordings or videos and going back into them takes you to
>     where you left off rather than to the root of the tree.... which can
>     be confusing when the system is used by several people.
>   * Not very "guest" friendly.  My guests who have used our myth
>     frontends always talk about how it's easier to use than their cable
>     provided DVR's.  I think Kodi would get the opposite reaction... I
>     have yet to find a skin that I think is truely user friendly.

I know it can do folder-based video (and music) because I never use any
library function anywhere.  With the default theme, at least, the first
selection under the Video main menu item is Files.  It doesn't have any
locations by default, but one can add (via "Add Videos") any path
(local, network, etc), name it, and then file browse under that going
forward.  Music works the same way.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources