[mythtv-users] Anyone Using LIRC on CentOS 6.6?

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Jun 4 22:36:42 UTC 2015

On 6/4/2015 1:43 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 3:59 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>> I just upgraded my setup from Myth 0.24 to 0.27.4. In the process I updated
>> my frontends to the current CentOS 6.6 and I'm having trouble getting LIRC
>> running on them:
> At this point, I have to ask, is there a justifiable reason to
> continue to flail around with lirc on Centos 6 rather than
> flail around with an update to Centos 7 which has the
> newer lirc in EPEL (and has a longer life ahead of it)?
>
> I am sure you can (eventually) get everything to work,
> but why not make the effort on a base built from software
> revisions released this decade rather than the last?

Mostly a desire to keep my backend-only host and my two frontend-only
hosts synchronized. The backend is being used for many other services so
upgrading it is out of the question. The frontends, however, are
dedicated to that task so upgrading is a possibility. That is *if* I can
be sure I can have the *same* MythTV packages installed.

The packages I have installed are from Stephen Collier's SCRpms

http://scrpms.net/pub/

He has packages for both 6 and 7. Most likely they would work together.
But it scares me and rubs me the wrong way to have two different
architectures.

But to answer your question, the flailing is occurring because there are
at least two users over on the atrpms-users list who have lirc-0.9.0 up
and running on CentOS 6. I had LIRC 0.8.7 running on CentOS 6.3. I
*should* be able to get 0.9.0 running on CentOS 6.6.