[mythtv-users] LIRC not detecting certain keypresses with MCE remotes (modifiers?)

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Thu Jul 23 10:01:18 UTC 2015

---- On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 10:50:50 +0100 Alec Leamas<leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote ----
 > On 23/07/15 11:15, Tim Draper wrote:
 >
 > > looks like i found the issue but still struggling to get setup..
 > > the problem is that the NUC has 2 IR receivers (/dev/input/event4 (default) and .../event5 (MCE receiver)). LIRC/irw is currently using event4 and ignoring the event5 signals.
 > >
 > > i think my problem now is I can't find where LIRC has event4 input defined. it's obviously set somewhere as manually defining event5 works ('lircd -d /dev/input/event5', then use irw to monitor). my /etc/lirc/hardware.conf is here: http://pastebin.com/dgaprdX5
 > > Looks like i need to configure /dev/lirc0, but how? I am on the belief that *something* writes to /dev/lirc0, but been unable to find what to reconfigure it.
 > >
 > > thanks for any help..
 >
 > Your hardware.conf:
 >
 > > REMOTE="Linux input layer (/dev/input/eventX)"
 > > REMOTE_MODULES=""
 > > REMOTE_DRIVER="devinput"
 > > REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/lirc0"
 > > REMOTE_SOCKET=""
 > > REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="devinput/lircd.conf.devinput"
 > > REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
 >

 > doesn't really make any sense. Using the devinput driver implies that
 > that the input device should be the event device. The /dev/lirc0 device
 > id not used at all by the devinput driver.
 >
 > In fact, you might need to disable the /dev/lirc0 device. There might
 > also be issues with the /dev/input/event4 device after reboot; the
 > device numbering is not defined, so it might pop as another event
 > device. See http://www.lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html. This is
 > for recent lirc (ubuntu's 0.9.0 is really old) but should apply for
 > these issues.
 >
 > HTH.
 >
 > Cheers!
 >
 > --alec

your right, it doesnt make sense. i've just used mythbuntu-control-center (MCC) to set the LIRC device type as the Linux Input Layer type (from the MCE remote option). the hardware.conf is whats been generated so far.
Ofc, i could be doing this all wrong... maybe i use the MCE Remote option in MCC, and set the device to /dev/input/event5.

partly i don't fully understand the interaction of LIRC with multiple receivers even after reading through various guides and info, so i'm not sure which options i need - i'm in a trial state to see what works and what doesn't.

I've noted the possibility of the device changing - right now i'm trying to get the remote working the way i want, and then i'll worry about ensuring the working config is static between reboots.